Sunday, 22 February 2015

Lesson one..

I didn't really know how a fascinator became a fascinator or it had never occurred to me to think about how it was made. So my first lesson was an eye opener and it got me so excited at all the limitless possibilities that you can make! I love learning new processes, seeing all the different stages and watching something be created with your hands in front of your eyes.. magical!

My materials.. 
sinamay in a range of colours
- Millinery Stiffener 
- Hat Block 
- Cling Film 
- Needle and Thread 
- Hat Pins

And that is literally all the materials you need to make a fasinator! 


I covered my hat block in cling film so that the sinamay wouldn't stick to the wood once it had stiffener on it. Then I cut out two squares of sinamay and placed them over each other on the bias to check they covered the hat block. Then I added some millinery stiffener to water and soaked the pieces in it. The stiffener is like a glue helping and does what the name suggests, stiffens the fabric once it's dried. 
I plaed them the pieces on the hat mold and pulled the sides down securing them with hat pins while it dried. 
Once it was dried I drew on it with chalk the size I wanted the base of the fasinator to be, then cut it out ready for the next stage! 

And that was my first lesson! 
Sophie.. 




No comments:

Post a Comment