So I thought I would start the blog off by telling you where
my love of hats all started! I’m currently studying Art and Design at West
Cheshire College. In the first year we work through different units in
different areas of art; fine art, fashion/textiles and 3D. When I started
fashion and textiles I became obsessed! I spent all my time filling my
sketchbook with sample after sample to the stage where the sketchbook started
to come apart.. yep I fell in love with the subject utterly and completely.
Our brief was about skins and surfaces of animals and the
different patterns they make. I looked at a wide range of animals but fell for flamingos.
They are extraordinary birds, did you know a flock of flamingos is called a
flamboyance? I know countless random facts about flamingos now but I won’t bore
you with them! After choosing my animal that led me onto Alice in Wonderland as
they use a flamingo in the croquet game. I looked at a lot of other things but
Alice in Wonderland really inspired me.
Flamingos and Alice in Wondeland just fitted perfectly
together for me. Alice in Wonderland is so flamboyant and over the top, the
colours are so bright and imaginative. I wanted to portray this is my piece, I
decided to make a hat inspired by the mad hatters hat and by flamingos. So
obviously everything was pink on my hat! I used a lot of different techniques;
weaving, fake fur, twisted chords and in the end created something that is
exactly what I imagined in my head. Has that ever happened for you? You have a
vision, a picture in your head of what you want something to look like and then
once you’ve actually made it it’s exactly what you had envisaged and even more!
It’s an amazing feeling!
That’s the story of my love of hats so far, but I’m now
having lessons in creating fascinators/small hats. I’m using all hand sewing
and making them out of sinema which is my new obsession! I’m going to document my
lessons and my progress on here, hopefully you will see some amazing hats soon!
In the meantime here’s some pictures off my flamingo hat!
Sophie..
No comments:
Post a Comment