Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Next Creation..

Now that I've learnt the basics my next creation is a fascinator for Philip Treacy. He completely inspires my work so this fascinator is for him! 

For the base of this fascinator I trapped feathers inside the two layers of sinamay, just to give it a little twist which I think looks really good.
I cut out the shape I wanted then made bias binding and hand sewed that around the edge. 

After I'd made the sinamay swirls and a postcard (which I'll so a separate post about) I started playing around with the position of them. I had three different colors of sinamay so I had to balance the different colors together and see which ones worked well. I also added some feathers as that linked back to my first hat which was on the postcard. 


I prefer layering the sinamay on top of each other instead of having them side by side, I think it makes it more interesting to look at and gives a more exciting look. I also tired twisting the different color sinamays together which I really like! 


Once I was happy with the composition I sewed them all done, then sewed a comb to the bottom of the fascinator so it could be worn. I'm really happy with it overall, there are things I need to keep working on. Like the bottom of the fascinator isn't very neat, the comb I bought was quite thick so next time I would use a thinner one which would make it look a lot neater. But for my second facsinator I'm really happy with it and can't wait to create more! 
Sophie.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment